Thursday, May 13, 2010

Vegetarian Bean Curry



I started my new job! It's kind of exciting to be in a new place. It's also a little intimidating. Being a new counselor to a group that has already been active is hard because they are used to a certain style. I know mine is different, but I think they liked me. We'll see. Anyway, I have been really motivated to bake and cook lately. It's something I look forward to when I can do it. Last week I made this curry. Mmmmm. It was tasty. I got this recipe from Ellie. Here is the story.
I was at school and I was just having a crazy busy day. Ellie found me and gave me a Mason Jar. I was used to this kind of thing. (If Ellie Lee ever gives you a mason jar, you are in for a treat.) Anyway, i dipped right in, because I hadn't had lunch yet that day. It was so good. It was this curry. Gosh, she's a good chef.
Every time I make it, I think of her. (you, if you're reading this, ellie.)
I also made this curry for Tiff and Andy. We loved it. (tiff, we have to get that curry pizza recipe from Andy)
Here's the recipe!

(I doubled it and froze half.)







ok, it may not look pretty, but just trust me, ok?

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 large white onion, chopped

1/2 cup dry lentils

2 cloves garlic, minced

3 tablespoons curry powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 pinch cayenne pepper

1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes

1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed

1 (8 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1/2 cup golden raisins

salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the onion until tender. Mix in the lentils and garlic, and season with curry powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, and raisins. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, and simmer at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally.


additional notes:

-coconut milk for half tomatoes

-you can add more cumin ginger, cardamom or cinnamon based on your taste buds J

-may need to precook lentils!!!!

-I also added cubed sweet potatoes

- when i doubled it, i used black beans too

- call me crazy (you wouldn't be the first), but I love it cold.


miss you girls terribly.


-Darla jean

No comments:

Post a Comment