Sunday, July 25, 2010

Here’s to you, toast.


When I think about what I want for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner lately, I think of toast. For someone who fancies herself a chef, that sounds pretty weak. I know. Just hear me out. Toast is a blank canvas. Toast is a solid foundation. Toast is what made my fire alarm go off at 4:45 am before a Saturday run. Toast is what Tiff and I ate for lunch after an 8 mile run. Toast is a little barge that carries cargo, a little dish you can eat. Toast isn’t just for the morning. It isn’t just for cinnamon and jam (mmm). It’s something to explore. Raise your glass, to toast! Ugh, that was really lame.

You can toast your regular old grocery store bread, if you’re a scumbag. Joking. I actually really like those sandwich thins (omg omg omg only 100 calories!) However, if you have the time and resources, just get real-ski and make some of your own bread. No big deal.

I stole a bread machine from my parents’ house. Don’t worry, they really won’t miss it. Here is the bread I make.

13 ounces of warm to hot water

2 Tbsp honey

2 Tbsp coconut oil or canola oil

3 ½ cups flour (depending on how gnarly you want your bread, just divvy up the flour with some whole wheat.)

1 cup rolled oats

½ cup flax seed mill (I’m serious)

¼ cup wheat germ

1 tsp salt

2 tbsp dried milk

½ tsp cinnamon

3 tsp of yeast (or whatever your bread machine calls for)

Put all these things in the pan in order (make a little well for the yeast), and set it for a two pound, light loaf. It’ll take about three hours and your house will smell great. The key to good toast is slicing that homemade bread thinly. I have a bread slicing guide that gives me good standard slices. I know it’s hard, but giant toast takes the other flavors away. Understand? Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment