Sunday, July 25, 2010

Honey and Beer Spice Cake


Honey and Beer Spice Cake

When I open the door of my fridge, it rattles and clangs from 5 beers just sitting there. It makes me crazy. I’m gonna use them all, I swear it. So, today, while I procrastinated working out, I made some beer cake. Oh man. I could have eaten the batter all day. It was so good. This cake has so much potential to add and change things, I’ll let you know what I change next time I make it. I put on the Arcade Fire album and got to work.

adapted from Booze Cakes and from Joy the Baker. makes one 9×13-inch cake

3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or just triple that) 1 teaspoon all-spice 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves zest and juice of 1 lemon 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature 1/2 cup sugar 3/4 cup light brown sugar 4 large eggs 1 cup honey 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) pale ale beer or honey beer I actually used another miller high life haha)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9×13-inch pan and set aside.

I a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a bowl cream together butter, sugars, spices and lemon zest. Mixture may look crumbly, but mix for about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition. Beat in the lemon juice and honey.

Add the flour mixture and beer. Alternating. First add a third of the flour mixture, mix. Add half of the beer, mix. Add the second third of flour, the rest of the beer. Mix. Then finally add the last third of the flour. Beat the batter real fast for 30 seconds. The batter will be loose and smooth.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake in the upper third of the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Mine cooked fast I would time it for 35 min and check on it from there.

When it was done, i just melted some butter on the top and rubbed cinnamon and sugar on it and it was great. It stayed moist for like 4 days.

Hope you like it party animals!

No comments:

Post a Comment