Sunday, July 25, 2010

Last Minute Lunch Date Salad



For one reason or another, I guessed that I could go a day without seeing Jordan. I needed to wake up early this morning and I didn’t think it would be wise to stay up late. Well, I texted him and told him I wouldn’t be able to hang out that night and it wasn’t long before we solidified plans for him to come for lunch. He knew us better.

Let me tell you about Jordan. He is adorable. He has blonde hair and blue blue blue eyes and he says more with one facial expression than a thousand words could touch. He’s funny, he’s passionate, and he’s sweet. He wants me to have everything. More like he wants to give me everything. In a way, he does.

What can I give him in return? Well, I make barely enough money to make ends meet (I can’t buy a 3 ring binder to hold recipes in until next month, ugh). I have a dog that keeps being expensive even though I tell him not to. I exhaust myself emotionally at work and I barely get sleep these days. So, it often times feels like I can’t give him anything. I don’t know how I deserve him or how he feels the way he claims to about me. He just blows my mind. Anyway, one thing I can do is put a lot of thought and energy into things I cook him. He gets all pissy when I ask if I can take him out to dinner and pay for him so I just cook for him at home instead. It makes me feel sneaky and like I’m taking him on a date.

I had half an hour to get ready and make lunch and I hadn’t gone grocery shopping in a long time. This is what I came up with while I was in the shower. I started by making him a mixed CD (his entry to Indie music) and then made us salad. Sure, call it unoriginal. Call it predictable. I call it serving those you care about with something you put energy into. I also call it Last Minute Lunch Date Salad.


1 half vidalia or white onion

1 chicken breast cut into strips

1 zucchini green or yellow

1 clove of garlic chopped

2 teaspoons of dried oregano

2 teaspoons of dried basil

salt and pepper to taste

some olive oil

some balsamic vinegar

1 ripe avocado

1/2 cup of black beans

1/2 cup golden raisins

4 cups of mixed greens

for the dressing, I just used one of those italian seasonings packets that you mix oil and balsamic into it was good.

Saute the onions, garlic, and slices of zucchini on medium heat with a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Also add a little dash of oregano and basil if you want.

In a separate grill pan, cook the chicken strips with olive oil, salt, pepper, basil and oregano.

when it was all done, I assembled it, sprinkled it with a four letter word and called it a date.

You. you.

No comments:

Post a Comment