Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mixed Berry Missed Husband Crumble Pity Pie.



Turns out, I'm a sap. I thought I was rational and tough and totally capable of managing a measly week without Jordan. It's just not the case. I may be able to blame pregnancy hormones, but it would be a bit of an unfair card to play.
I'm not even alone. I've arranged for babysitters each day and night that he's gone. (In case I go into labor or something) I've been at his parents so far and tomorrow I get handed off to Heika. I hope that will help me snap out of my pity party if this pie doesn't work.
So, tonight I did things to keep my mind off of missing the little punk. For example, I ate some tomatoes and basil and mozzarella cheese (Yes, I'm still on that kick. I think Lilliana is going to be born smelling like basil). I also watched some juice head gorilla's get gully, had a mini crush sesh on the Guy Gaga during the VMAs and played Words With Friends on my phone with a random, my big brother, and then... Jordan. Which put my mind back on it and forced me to make this pie.

I fuzed a few different recipes together, and ended up with something like this.

Ingredients:
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
1 bag frozen mixed berries (just over 3 cups) *
1 alligator pity tear
a healing sprinkle of cinnamon
1 pre-made pastry crust

3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup softened butter

What to do:
1. Place your pie crust in a sprayed pie pan and make the edges pretty (do as I say, not as I do)
2. Take a couple tablespoons of softened butter and shmear it around on the crust, creating a fatty shield to keep the berries from sogging it all up. Store it in the fridge.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the egg, corn starch, sugar, berries, tear, and cinnamon leave that out to thaw a little
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Then cut in the butter until it's crumbly
5. Pour the berry mixture into the pie shell and top with the crumble. Cover the edges of the pie with tin foil and bake at 375 for 45 min. Remove foil and finish baking for 10-20 more minutes or when the crust and crumble is golden brown.
6. Let it set for a while before you either cool it or serve it. Don't just jab your fork in there like an uncivilized oaf and burn your mouth on it. Who would do that? It kinda hurts and then your In laws are going to see it in the morning and realize what an impatient fatty-fatty-no-friends you really are. Embarrassing.

Mine just finished. I feel a little bit better. Aside from the burned tongue (another reminder to do as I say, not as I do). I'm thinking of using this to get him home early.
Me- "Hey babe, I made this pie."
Hubby- "No way! I can't believe I am missing this. Forget Cali, I'm coming home now!"

What do you think? I may have a shot. If not, stay tuned for more baked feelings. They'll be here all week. ;)


-Darla Jean




No comments:

Post a Comment